Wednesday 18 December 2013

Infosys Verbal Ability Questions - 4

     Infosys – Verbal Ability Questions - 4

Direction Questions (1-6): In each question below is given a passage followed by several inferences. You have to examine each inference separately in the context of the passage and decide upon its degree of truth or falsity. Mark your answer as :

A. if the inference is ' definitely true' i.e. , it directly follows from the facts given in the passage
B. if the inference is ' probably true' though not definitely true in the light of the facts given
C. if you think the data are in adequate i.e., from the facts given you cannot say whether the inference is likely to be true or false
D. if you think the inference is ' probably false' though not definitely false in the light of the facts given; and
E. if you think inference is ' definitely false' i,e , it contradicts the given facts.

Passage I

More than a decade of erosion in budgetary support from the Union Government, has seriously affected Indian Railway's capacity to finance its plan expenditures. The situation has come to a pass where the railways must now think of innovative ways to get longer mileage from its investments. Significantly the resource crunch has had grievous impact on the railways. As a result, it will not be in a position to acquire necessary equipment and this will seriously affect the railway's capacity to serve the needs of the economy in future.

1. Railways had so far believed in traditional ways in generating income.
Ans: A

2. Government has shifted its priority from railways to other areas.
Ans: B

3. The union government has reduced drastically the budgetary support to railways during the last decade.
Ans: A

4. The fiscal position of railways in the earlier plan period was better than the current plan period
Ans: A

5. During the current plan period, the railways will not be able to expand its network
Ans: A

Passage II

The smaller pesticide formulation units in India operate under heavy constraints such as obsolete technology, small scale of operation and dependence on large units for raw materials. In view of the loss of expensive material by the smaller units it is important to either eliminate or reduce losses to the extent possible through innovative and sustainable waste minimization techniques. Operating profit margins of the units are very low and small adverse conditions land these companies in trouble. Maximum losses suffered by these units are through poor house- keeping, sub- optional operating practices, and lack of proper opportunities for recycling waste.

6. Smaller units should be operationally self - - sufficient so as to minimize loss.
Ans: C

7. Waste management process in India need modernization
Ans: A

8. Lack of funds compels smaller units to ignore house- keeping.
Ans: B

Direction (9-14) : In each of the following questions, find out which part of the sentence has an error. if there is no mistake the answer is 'no error'

9. Our is the only (A) / country in the world (B) / than can boast of (C)  / unity in diversity (D) / no error (E)

Ans : A     (‘Ours’ instead of ‘our’)

10. May I know (A) /Who you want (B) / to see please (C) / No error (D)

Ans : B     (‘Whom’ instead of ‘Who’)

11. Due to me being a newcomer (A) / I was unable to get a house (B) / suitable for my wife and me (C) / No error (D)

Ans : A   (‘my’ instead of ‘me’)

12. This is the boy (A) / Whom I think had won (B) / the gold medal in the dance competition (C) / No error (D)

Ans : B   (‘who’ instead of ‘whom’)

13. The number of vehicles (A) /plying on this road (B) / is more than on the main road (C) / No error (D)

Ans : C  ( the word ‘that’ should follow after ‘than’)

14. There has not been any rainfall (A) / in this part of the country (B) / since the last two years (C) / No error (D)

Ans: D

Directions 15-22: In each question, a part of sentence is printed in italics. Below each sentence, some phrases are given which can substitute the italicized part of the sentence. If the sentence is correct as it is, the answer is 'No correction required'

15. No sooner I saw the tiger than I ran away
A. No sooner I had seen
B. No sooner did I see
C. as soon as I saw
D. No Correction required
Ans: B

16. Let he and I work together
A. him and I
B. him and me
C. he and me
D. No Correction required
Ans : C

17. The child is the father of the man
A. A child, man
B. Child , a man
C. Child, Man
D. No Correction required
Ans : D

18. I am used to hard work
A. hard working
B. work hard
C. work hardly
D. No Correction required
Ans : D

19. The doctor examined my pulse
A. observed
B. saw
C. felt
D. No Correction required
Ans : C

20. I wish I have all those luxuries
A. I will have
B. I am having
C. I had
D. No Correction required
Ans: C

21. She did not like the movie , nor I did
A. nor did I
B. nor I like it
C. nor I liked it
D. No Correction required
Ans: A

22. The enthusiastic voters were queuing up outside the polling station since morning.
A. queued up
B. had queued up
C. had been queuing up
D. No Correction required
Ans: B




No comments:

Post a Comment