Tuesday 4 June 2013

Identify the Correct Sentence

Identify the correct sentence

1.         a.         She loved to travel so she could know people from all around the world.
b.         She loved to travel so she could get to know people from round the world.
c.         She loved to travel so she could knew about people from around the world.
d.         She loved to travel so she could get knowing people from round the world.

2.         a.         If it were not for the Prussians Wellington would have lost the battle   at Waterloo.
b.         If it hadn’t been for the Prussians Wellington would have lost the battle at
Waterloo.
c.         But for the Prussians Wellington would have been lost at Waterloo.
d.         If it wasn’t for the Prussians Wellington would have lost at Waterloo.

3.         a.         I felt like a drink but I was put off by the male feel of the bar.
b.         I wanted a drink but I was put off by the masculine bar.
c.         I felt like a drink but I was put off because the bar felt too masculine.
d.         I wanted a drink but I was put off by the male bar.

4.         a.         I kept explaining that Oxford is farther than Brighton but she kept asking for
further information.
b.         I kept explaining that Oxford is farther than Brighton but she kept asking for farther information.
c.         I kept explaining that Oxford is further than Brighton but she kept asking for farther information.
d.         I walked to the college of farther information but it was further away than I
realized.

5.         a.         The ocean depths being recognized as a featureless abyss rather than dynamic variable and biologically rich environment.
b.         By recognizing the ocean depths as dynamic, variable and biologically rich environment rather than a featureless abyss.
c.         Their recognizing of the ocean depths as a featureless abyss rather than a dynamic, variable and biologically rich environment.
d.         The ocean depths are recognized as a dynamic, variable and biologically rich environment
.
6.         a.         Thank you for bringing me here but let’s look at one more picture and then would you please take me home.
b.         Thanks for bringing me here but let’s look at one more picture and then would you please bring me home.
c.         Thank you for taking me here but let’s look at one more picture and then would you please bring me home.
d.         Thanks for taking me here but let’s look at one more picture and then would you please bring me home.

7.         a.         As soon as he suggested a weekend away she flew up the passage, jumped in the car and sped off down to the country.
b.         As soon as he suggested a weekend away she flew up the passage, jumped in the car and sped off up to the country.
c.         As soon as he suggested a weekend away she flew down the passage, jumped in the car and sped off down to the country.
d.         As soon as he suggested a weekend away she flew down the passage, jumped in the car and sped off up to the country.

8.         a.         When fishing you can always tell when you lose a fish because the line feels loose.
b.         When fishing you can always tell when you loose a fish because the line feels lose.
c.         When fishing you can always tell when you loose a fish because the line feels loose.
d.         When fishing you can always tell when you lose a fish because the line feels lose.

9.         a.         The milk tasted off and I meant to say something but I did not think of   complaining.
b.         The milk tasted off and I meant to complain but did not think to say something.
c.         The milk tasted off and I meant to complain but decided its not worth it.
d.         The milk tasted off and I meant to say something but did not think it worth
complaining.

10.       a.         I willingly accepted to walk with them over the forest.
b.         I reluctantly agreed to walk with them across the forest.
c.         With hesitation I agreed to walk with them through the forest.
d.         Despite misgivings I accepted to walk with them through the forest.

11.       a.         In the restaurant where I work I get often tips because I always treat well the customers.
b.         In the restaurant where I work I get often tips because I always treat the customers well.
c.         In the restaurant where I work I often get tips because I always treat well the customers.
d.         In the restaurant where I work I often get tips because I always treat the
customers well.

12.       a.         When she asked to borrow my computer, I replied yes I’m afraid so.
b.         When she asked to borrow my computer, I replied I’m afraid so.
c.         When she asked to borrow my computer, I replied I’m afraid not.
d.         When she asked to borrow my computer, I replied I’m afraid no.

13.       a.         He had nothing except what he was borne with.
b.         He had nothing apart from what he was born with.
c.         He had nothing besides what he was borne with.
d.         He had nothing apart from what he was borne with.

14.       a.         When the company went bust everyone involved lost all that they had.
b.         When the company went bust everyone involved lost all.
c.         When the company went bust everyone involved lost all what they had.
d.         When the company went bust everyone involved lost what they had.

15.       a.         After the garage sale the children hadn’t hardly any toys left.
b.         After the garage sale the children had scarcely any toys left.
c.         After the garage sail the children had hardly any toys left.
d.         After the garage sale the children hadn’t scarcely any toys left.

Answers:

1.    (b)   2.  (b)    3.  (c)   4.  (a)   5.  (a)    6.  (c)   7.  (a)    8.  (a)   9.  (d)    10.  (c)  

11.    (d)       12.   (c)      13.    (b)       14.   (a)      15.    (b)






No comments:

Post a Comment